the consequences of actions, the guardians of Hell and their number, and the Quran being a reminder.
Al Muddassir Meaning in Quran
Al-Muddassir’s meaning in the Quran is “The Covered.” It’s written ٱلْمُدَّثِّر in Arabic,
it means the “Cloaked One” or “the Man Wearing a Cloak.” The man here refers to the prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him).
The name is one of Muhammad’s (PBUH) names or titles. Afterward, it is used as a male given name in the Arabian Peninsula or Africa,
written Mudathir or Mudather, Al-Muddaththir, and Mudassar in Central Asia, South Asia, and Southeast Asia.
What Are Surah Muddathir Benefits?
1- One of the Benefits of Surah Al-Muddaththir is that it is the first complete Surah revealed to the prophet Muhammad PBUH – may Allah’s prayers and peace be upon him – and it can be combined that it is the first Surah revealed
And Surah Al-Alaq also, the first Surah that was revealed with the order to inform is that Surat Al-Alaq was revealed in its heart only, and it was not revealed to the Messenger in one sentence like Surat Al-Muddathir:
“I asked Abu Salamah: the Quran was revealed first? He said:” Yaaa ayyuhal muddassir,” I said: I was informed that the first Surah was revealed from the Qur’an:” Iqra bismi rab bikal lazee khalaq “ said Abu Salamah asked Jabir bin Abdullah Which Qur’an was revealed first?
2- Among the Benefits of Surat al-Muddathir, like other surahs of the Quran, is the Benefits for recitation; A letter is a good deed and a good deed is ten times as much, except for that which people pass on from the virtues of Surat al-Muddathir, and that reciting it is a reason for the servant to be with the Prophet – may Allah is prayers and the prophet Muhammad PBUH – in the same degree in Paradise, and there is no basis for it.
3- the person who recites Surah al-Muddaththir will be protected from any misfortunes in this world.
4- If recited Surah al-Muddaththir daily and then a dua is made after its recitation, then the dua will be answered and the need will be fulfilled.
5- If one makes dua that he wishes to memorize al Quran then he will not die until he has memorized it with the help of Allah
Surah Mudathir Mishary Rashed Alafasy
Surah al Mudassir in the Holy Quran
Surah Mudathir is the Surah 74 of the Quran, with 56 verses (ayat). It can be found in juz twenty-nine. Surah Mudathir has 256 words in total, 193 distinct words without repetition, and 1,035 letters. It’s a Meccan Surah that was revealed to cover a variety of themes.
Surah Mudathir is split into chronological and thematic parts. This surah was most likely delivered at least twice and gathered retroactively.
Verses 1-30 and 32-56 are composed of short, poetic lines that follow the rhyme pattern and employ the Arabic rhetorical technique of parallel construction. This refers to the early Meccan era’s poetry.
Verse 31 stands out for its sentence structure, grammar, and length; it is easily the longest verse in this surah and indicates a considerable divergence from the rhyming pattern that precedes and follows it. This verse type is very common in later Medinan revelations.
When Was Surah Muddathir Revealed?
Surah Mudathir was revealed in the period of 610 – 614 AD. Many well-known scholars, including Ibn Kathir, regard Surat al-Muddaththir as the second surah given to the prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
Citing the hadith:
“Jabir ibn Abd Allah said, I heard the Messenger of Allah – and he was narrating about the pause in Revelation – so he said in his narration: “I was walking when I heard a voice from the heavens. So I raised my head, and there was an angel, the one that had come to me at Hira, sitting upon a chair between the heavens and the earth.
I fled from him out of fear, and I returned and said: “Wrap me up! Wrap me up!” So they covered me. Then, Allah, Most High revealed: “O you who are wrapped up! Arise and warn.” Up to His saying: “And keep away from the Rujz!” before the Salat was made obligatory.”
(Sahih al-Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, at-Tirmidhi, Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)
Why Was Surah Al Muddathir Revealed?
Allah SWT commands Muhammad, who was wrapped in clothing because he was extremely cold as a result of the enormous shock of his first revelation, to rise and warn people. This is a popular opinion among scholars since they believe it was the second Surah to be revealed.
Allah ordered him to cleanse himself and stand up to the task of warning his people, including the mention of Saood and Saqar (places of terrible punishment in hell), as well as the rewards and punishments in paradise and hell.
Allama Tabataba’i states in his Quran exegesis, al-Mizan, that according to numerous hadiths, verse 11 of Surah Mudathir and its following verses were revealed regarding al-Walid b. al-Mughira.
“Leave Me Alone (to deal) with whom I created Alone, And then granted him resources in abundance. And children to be by his side! And made life smooth and comfortable for him! After all that he desires that I should give more; Nay! Verily, he has been stubborn and opposing Our Ayat I shall oblige him to (climb a slippery mountain in the Hell-fire called As-Sa’ud, or to) face a severe torment!
Verily, he thought and plotted; So let him be cursed! How he plotted! And once more let him be cursed, how he plotted! Then he thought; Then he frowned and he looked in a bad-tempered way; Then he turned back and was proud; Then he said: “This is nothing but magic from that of old; This is nothing but the word of a human being!”
(Surah al Muddathir 11-25)
People from the Quraysh convened at Dar al-Nudwa, and Walid, a knowledgeable and courteous man, pushed them to reach an agreement concerning the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
The Quraysh tried to label him as a poet, a soothsayer, or insane, but al-Walid b.
al-Mughira argued that none of these descriptions fit him because Quranic verses do not resemble poetry, soothsaying, or insanity.
He favored the term “magician” for the Prophet (PBUH).
When the Quraysh departed Dar al-Nudwa, they began referring to the Prophet (PBUH) as a magician whenever they encountered him. The Prophet (PBUH) was depressed, and then Surah al-Muddaththir verses eleven to twenty-five were revealed.
Surah al Muddathir English Translation
- O you (Muhammad) cloaked (in garments)!
- Arise and warn!
- And magnify your Lord (Allah)!
- And purify your garments!
- And keep away from Ar-Rujz (the idols)!
- And give not a thing in order to have more (or consider not your deeds of Allah’s obedience as a favor to Allah).
- And be patient for the sake of your Lord!
- Then, when the Trumpet is sounded
- Truly, that Day will be a Hard Day.
- Far from easy for the disbelievers.
- Leave Me Alone (to deal) with whom I created Alone (without any means, i.e. Al-Walid bin Al-Mughirah Al-Makhzumi)!
- And then granted him resources in abundance.
- And children to be by his side!
- And made life smooth and comfortable for him!
- After all that he desires that I should give more;
- Nay! Verily, he has been stubborn and opposing Our Ayat (proofs, pieces of evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.).
- I shall oblige him to (climb a slippery mountain in the Hell-fire called As-Sa’ud, or to) face a severe torment!
- Verily, he thought and plotted;
- So let him be cursed! How he plotted!
- And once more let him be cursed, how he plotted!
- Then he thought;
- Then he frowned and he looked in a bad-tempered way;
- Then he turned back and was proud;
- Then he said: “This is nothing but magic from that of old;
- “This is nothing but the word of a human being!”
- I will cast him into Hell-fire
- And what will make you know exactly what Hell-fire is?
- It spares not (any sinner), nor does it leave anything unburnt!
- Burning the skins!
- Over it are nineteen (angels as guardians and keepers of Hell).
- And We have set none but angels as guardians of the Fire, and We have fixed their number (19) only as a trial for the disbelievers, in order that the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) may arrive at a certainty [that this Qur’an is the truth as it agrees with their Books i.e. their number (19) is written in the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)]
and the believers may increase in Faith (as this Quran is the truth) and that no doubts may be left for the people of the Scripture and the believers, and that those in whose hearts is a disease (of hypocrisy) and the disbelievers may say: “What Allah intends by this (curious) example ?” Thus Allah leads astray whom He wills and guides whom He wills. And none can know the hosts of your Lord but He. And this (Hell) is nothing else than a (warning) reminder to mankind.
- Nay, and by the moon,
- And by the night when it withdraws,
- And by the dawn when it brightens,
- Verily, it (Hell, or their denial of the Prophet Muhammad, or the Day of Resurrection) is but one of the greatest calamities.
- A warning to mankind,
- To any of you that chooses to go forward (by working righteous deeds), or to remain behind (by committing sins),
- Every person is a pledge for what he has earned,
- Except those on the Right, (i.e. the pious true believers of Islamic Monotheism);
- In Gardens (Paradise) they will ask one another,
- About Al-Mujrimun (polytheists, criminals, disbelievers, etc.),
- “What has caused you to enter Hell?”
- They will say: “We were not of those who used to offer their Salat (prayers)
- “Nor we used to feed Al-Miskin (the poor);
- “And we used to talk about falsehood (all that which Allah hated) with vain talkers.
- “And we used to belie the Day of Recompense
- “Until there comes to us (the death) that is certain.”
- So no intercession of intercessors will be of any use to them.
- Then what is wrong with them (i.e. the disbelievers) that they turn away from (receiving) admonition?
- As if they were frightened (wild) donkeys.
- Fleeing from a hunter, or a lion, or a beast of prey.
- Nay, every one of them desires that he should be given pages spread out (coming from Allah with writing that Islam is the right religion, and Muhammad has come with the truth from Allah the Lord of the heavens and earth, etc.).
- Nay! But they fear not the Hereafter.
- Nay, verily, this (Quran) is an admonition,
- So whosoever will (let him read it), and receive admonition from it!
- And they will not receive admonition unless Allah wills; He (Allah) is the One, deserving that mankind should be afraid of, and should be dutiful to Him, and should not take any Ilah (Allah ) along with Him, and He is the One Who forgives.
Surah Mudathir Tafseer
The Surah’s first topic is an exhortation to be self-sufficient. Verse 1 is about Muhammed (al-Muddaththir, or cloaked one). The second verse alerts Muhammad to a changing environment in which he is tasked with saving humanity.
Verses 3-7, then, are injunctions to Muhammad and whoever follows the righteous path of Allah SWT to preserve cleanliness, monotheism, humility, and patience in their own life. All of this is setting the stage for the rest of the message to be revealed.
The following Surah Muddaththir theme portion is a warning to unbelievers. This part recounts the rejection of Allah’s message and the agonizing repercussions.
Those who have not been appreciative for the bounty of Allah’s favor and have demanded more, ignoring Allah SWT’s signs and revelations, will be thrown into the Saqar. These names all allude to Hell’s searing fire.
This image of an unbeliever highlights the uniqueness of the duty of obeying Allah’s message: it is up to each individual man to save himself from Hell.
Verse 30 mentions nineteen angels who guard the abyss of hell; this intriguing detail is expanded on in the next verse, which is thought to be a Medinan interpolation.
Verse 31 decodes the mystery of the nineteen angels by depicting the number as a symbol of trust. True believers will not question it since it is Allah’s word, but those who Allah has “guided astray” will be disturbed by questions.
The next portion of Surah al-Muddaththir uses the concrete, visible physical world to demonstrate that the destruction that awaits the unbelievers will be equally real. It then returns to the subject of personal responsibility.
These verses explain the soul’s struggle in Saqar, as well as the decisions made by those who found themselves there. There will be no intercession for them; their eternal souls were condemned the moment they rejected Allah’s message.
Finally, the surah returns to the realm of the living to issue its final command. Verses 49-56 stress the critical need of people to fear and glorify Allah SWT and only Him.
After showing believers what happens to those who do not listen to the message, the surah concludes with a reminder that, in the end, Allah SWT controls the fate of all humanity and that no one will remember what Allah does not allow him to remember.
surah muddathir arabic text
Yaaa ayyuhal muddassir
1. O you who covers himself [with a garment],
Qum fa anzir
2. Arise and warn
Wa rabbaka fakabbir
3. And your Lord glorify
Wa siyaabaka fatahhir
4. And your clothing purify
5. And uncleanliness avoid
وَلَا تَمْنُن تَسْتَكْثِرُ
Wa laa tamnun tastaksir
6. And do not confer favor to acquire more
Wa li Rabbika fasbir
7. But for your Lord be patient.
فَإِذَا نُقِرَ فِى ٱلنَّاقُورِ
Fa izaa nuqira fin naaqoor
8. And when the trumpet is blown,
فَذَٰلِكَ يَوْمَئِذٍۢ يَوْمٌ عَسِيرٌ
Fazaalika yawma ‘iziny yawmun ‘aseer
9. That Day will be a difficult day
عَلَى ٱلْكَـٰفِرِينَ غَيْرُ يَسِيرٍۢ
‘Alal kaafireena ghairu yaseer
10. For the disbelievers – not easy.
ذَرْنِى وَمَنْ خَلَقْتُ وَحِيدًۭا
Zarnee wa man khalaqtu waheedaa
11. Leave Me with the one I created alone
وَجَعَلْتُ لَهُۥ مَالًۭا مَّمْدُودًۭا
Wa ja’altu lahoo maalam mamdoodaa
12. And to whom I granted extensive wealth
Wa baneena shuhoodaa
13. And children present [with him]
وَمَهَّدتُّ لَهُۥ تَمْهِيدًۭا
Wa mahhattu lahoo tamheeda
14. And spread [everything] before him, easing [his life].
ثُمَّ يَطْمَعُ أَنْ أَزِيدَ
Summa yat ma’u an azeed
15. Then he desires that I should add more.
كَلَّآ ۖ إِنَّهُۥ كَانَ لِءَايَـٰتِنَا عَنِيدًۭا
Kallaaa innahoo kaana li Aayaatinaa ‘aneedaa
16. No! Indeed, he has been toward Our verses obstinate.
Sa urhiquhoo sa’oodaa
17. I will cover him with arduous torment.
إِنَّهُۥ فَكَّرَ وَقَدَّرَ
Innahoo fakkara wa qaddar
18. Indeed, he thought and deliberated.
فَقُتِلَ كَيْفَ قَدَّرَ
Faqutila kayfa qaddar
19. So may he be destroyed [for] how he deliberated.
ثُمَّ قُتِلَ كَيْفَ قَدَّرَ
Summa qutila kaifa qaddar
20. Then may he be destroyed [for] how he deliberated.
21. Then he considered [again];
ثُمَّ عَبَسَ وَبَسَرَ
Summa ‘abasa wa basar
22. Then he frowned and scowled;
ثُمَّ أَدْبَرَ وَٱسْتَكْبَرَ
Summaa adbara wastakbar
23. Then he turned back and was arrogant
فَقَالَ إِنْ هَـٰذَآ إِلَّا سِحْرٌۭ يُؤْثَرُ
Faqaala in haazaaa illaa sihruny yu’sar
24. And said, “This is not but magic imitated [from others].
إِنْ هَـٰذَآ إِلَّا قَوْلُ ٱلْبَشَرِ
In haazaaa illaa qawlul bashar
25. This is not but the word of a human being.”
Sa usleehi saqar
26. I will drive him into Saqar.
وَمَآ أَدْرَىٰكَ مَا سَقَرُ
Wa maaa adraaka maa saqar
27. And what can make you know what is Saqar?
لَا تُبْقِى وَلَا تَذَرُ
Laa tubqee wa laa tazar
28. It lets nothing remain and leaves nothing [unburned],
29. Blackening the skins.
عَلَيْهَا تِسْعَةَ عَشَرَ
‘Alaihaa tis’ata ‘ashar
30. Over it are nineteen [angels].
surah muddathir Roman Translation
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Yaaa ayyuhal muddassir
- Qum fa anzir
- Wa rabbaka fakabbir
- Wa siyaabaka fatahhir
- Warrujza fahjur
- Wa laa tamnun tastaksir
- Wa li Rabbika fasbir
- Fa izaa nuqira fin naaqoor
- Fazaalika yawma ‘iziny yawmun ‘aseer
- ‘Alal kaafireena ghairu yaseer
- Zarnee wa man khalaqtu waheedaa
- Wa ja’altu lahoo maalam mamdoodaa
- Wa baneena shuhoodaa
- Wa mahhattu lahoo tamheeda
- Summa yat ma’u an azeed
- Kallaaa innahoo kaana li Aayaatinaa ‘aneedaa
- Sa urhiquhoo sa’oodaa
- Innahoo fakkara wa qaddar
- Faqutila kayfa qaddar
- Summa qutila kaifa qaddar
- Summa nazar
- Summa ‘abasa wa basar
- Summaa adbara wastakbar
- Faqaala in haazaaa illaa sihruny yu’sar
- In haazaaa illaa qawlul bashar
- Sa usleehi saqar
- Wa maaa adraaka maa saqar
- Laa tubqee wa laa tazar
- Lawwaahatul lilbashar
- ‘Alaihaa tis’ata ‘ashar
- Wa maaja’alnaaa As-haaban naari illaa malaaa ‘ikatanw wa maa ja’alnaa ‘iddatahum illaa fitnatal lillazeena kafaroo liyastaiqinal lazeena ootul kitaaba wa yazdaadal lazeena aamanooo eemaananw wa laa yartaabal lazeena ootul kitaaba walmu’minoona wa liyaqoolal lazeena fee quloo bihim maradunw walkaafiroona maazaaa araadal laahu bihaazaa masalaa; kazaalika yudillul laahu mai yashaaa’u wa yahdee mai yashaaa’; wa maa ya’lamu junooda rabbika illaa hoo; wa maa hiya illaa zikraa lil bashar
- Kallaa walqamar
- Wallaili id adbar
- Wassub hi izaaa asfar
- Innahaa la ihdal kubar
- Nazeeral lilbashar
- Liman shaaa’a minkum any yataqaddama aw yata akhkhar
- Kullu nafsim bima kasabat raheenah
- Illaaa as haabal yameen
- Fee jannaatiny yata saaa’aloon
- ‘Anil mujrimeen
- Maa salakakum fee saqar
- Qaaloo lam naku minal musalleen
- Wa lam naku nut’imul miskeen
- Wa kunnaa nakhoodu ma’al khaaa’ideen
- Wa kunnaa nukazzibu bi yawmid Deen
- Hattaaa ataanal yaqeen
- Famaa tanfa’uhum shafaa’atush shaafi’een
- Famaa lahum ‘anittazkirati mu’rideen
- Ka annahum humurum mustanfirah
- Farrat min qaswarah
- Bal yureedu kullum ri’im minhum any yu’taa suhufam munashsharah
- Kallaa bal laa yakhaafoonal aakhirah
- Kallaaa innahoo tazkirah
- Fa man shaaa’a zakarah
- Wa maa yazkuroona illaaa any yashaaa’al laah; Huwa ahlut taqwaa wa ahlul maghfirah
And, according to a hadith from the Prophet (PBUH) given in Tafsir al-Burhan, reciting Surah al-Muddaththir on a regular basis will result in a large reward. If someone asks Allah to assist them in memorizing the entire Quran, they will not die until they have memorized the entire Quran.
Noor and Nora ( House of Quran ) will be their friends during this amazing journey.
Hadith on Surah Al-Muddaththir
(1) Narrated Yahya:
I asked Aba Salama, “Which Sura of the Qur’an was revealed first?” He replied, “O you, wrapped-up (Al-Muddaththir).” I said, “I have been informed that it was, ‘Read, in the Name of your Lord who created (i.e. Surat Al-Alaq).similar to the narration related by `Ali bin Al-Mubarak, 444 above).
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 4924
(2) Narrated Yahya bin Abi Kathir:
I asked Aba Salama bin `Abdur-Rahman about the first Sura revealed of the Qur’an. He replied, “O you, wrapped-up (i.e. Al Muddaththir).” I said, “They say it was, ‘Read, in the Name of your Lord Who created,’ (i.e. Surat Al-`Alaq (the Clot).” On that, Abu Salama said, “I asked Jabir bin `Abdullah about that, saying the same as you have said, whereupon he said, ‘I will not tell you except what Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) had told us. Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said, “I was in seclusion in the cave of Hiram’, and after I completed the limited period of my seclusion. I came down (from the cave) and heard a voice calling me. I looked to my right but saw nothing. Then I looked up and saw something. So I went to Khadija (the Prophet’s wife) and told her to wrap me up and pour cold water on me. So they wrapped me up and poured cold water on me.” Then, ‘O you, (Muhammad) wrapped up! Arise and warn,’ (Surat Al Muddaththir) was revealed.” (74.1)
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 4922
Surah Mudathir summary
Surah Mudathir has 56 verses divided into 2 Rukus/Sections. It takes its name from verse 1: ” يَا أَيُّهَا الْمُدَّثِّرُ,” (O you who covers himself [with a garment]) where the word “المدثر” meaning “The Enrobed” appears This Surah was revealed in Mecca during very early days of prophethood.
Narrated Jabir bin Abdullah Al Ansari while talking about the period of pause in revelation reporting the speech of the Prophet
“While I was walking, all of a sudden I heard a voice from heaven.
I looked up and saw the same angel who had visited me at the cave of Hira sitting on a chair between the sky and the earth.
I got afraid of him and came back home and said,
‘Wrap me .’ And then Allah revealed the following Holy Verses: ‘O you (i.e. Muhammad)! wrapped up in garments!’
Arise and warn (the people against Allah’s Punishment),… up to ‘and desert the idols.’ (74.1-5) After this, the revelation started coming strongly, frequently, and regularly.”
Surah Mudathir talks about self-preparedness for the coming hard work of the responsibility of prophethood. Then there is a warning for the unbelievers.
Who rejected the word of Allah, and warns humankind to fear and glorify Allah.
In surah Al-Muddaththir is also the mention of Saood and Saqar (Places of severe Punishment in Hell) and about 19 Guards of Hell.
Then verse 31 explains the mystery of the nineteen angels by depicting the number as a trial of faith. Genuine believers will not question it,
as it is the word of Allah, and those whom Allah has led astray would be disturbed by doubts.