Umrah is a pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia that can be performed at any time of the year, unlike the annual Hajj pilgrimage that takes place during the Islamic month of Dhul Hijjah. Umrah is also known as the “minor pilgrimage” or the “lesser pilgrimage.”
Performing Umrah involves a set of rituals, including entering into a state of Ihram (a state of ritual purity), performing Tawaf (circumambulation) around the Kaaba, and performing Sa’i (walking between the hills of Safa and Marwa) seven times. Umrah can be performed individually, with family or friends, or as part of a group.
Umrah is not a mandatory obligation for Muslims, it is considered a highly recommended act of worship and is believed to bring numerous spiritual and personal benefits to the individual. It is an opportunity for Muslims to connect with Allah, seek forgiveness for sins, and renew their faith and commitment to Islam.
Umrah or ‘lesser pilgrimage’ is the act of visiting the Ka’aba to worship Allah. it can be performed at any time in the year.
During Ummrah Muslims perform Tawaf around the Ka’aba. Then they perform Sa’I. a person performs Umrah to worship Allah, gain many rewards, and have all their sins erased.
The rules for umrah include:
- For a person to be a Muslim.
- The person should be mature, i.e have reached puberty.
- To be sane.
- Capable of performing Umrah Financially and Physically.
- The person should be safe during the trip to umrah (afford safe transport).
Another thing to know is that there are two types of Umrah, and they are:
Umrah al-Mufradah: this type can be done any time of the year except during the days of Hajj.
Umrah al-Tamattu: this type is performed in conjunction with Hajj, the most common time is before the commencement of Hajj. This is the common type performed by pilgrims.
How to perform umrah?
Here’s how you can perform Umrah in easy steps:
To be in the state of Ihram do the following:
- Clip your nails and remove any unwanted hair.
- Take a bath (Ghusl) or perform Wudu.
- Wear the Ihram clothing before the departure of your flight.
- After wearing the Ihram clothing Pray salat Ihram. By praying two Rakat and reciting surah al-Kafirun in the first Rakah and surah Ikhlas in the second. Then Make a dua after finishing the prayer.
- When you are near the Miqat make your intention to perform Umrah. And recite the Talbiyah as follows:
لَبَّيْكَ اللهُمَّ لَبَّيْكَ – لَبَّيْكَ لَا شَرِيْكَ لَكَ لَبَّيْكَ – إِنَّ الْحَمْدَ وَالنِّعْمَةَ لَكَ وَالْمُلْكَ – لَا شَرِيْكَ لَكَ –
Labbayka llāhumma labbayk(a), labbayka lā sharīka laka labbayk(a), inna l-ḥamda wa n-ni’mata, laka wa l-mulk(a), lā sharīka lak.
English translation: At Your service, Allah, at Your service. At Your service, You have no partner, at Your service. Truly all praise, favor, and sovereignty are Yours. You have no partner.
- Send Salawat (peace and blessings) to the prophet.
- When entering Makkah keep reciting Talbiyah, Dhikr, and Salawat on the Prophet.
Entering Masjid al-Haram:
- Enter Masjid al-Haram with your right foot and recite the entering the mosque Dua.
- Head to the Kaaba and when you see it recite “Allah Akbar, Allah Akbar, LA illah ila Allah” three times. Then make Dua and Salawat.
- Start the Tawf: go to the Hajar al-Aswad. If you can’t see it there will be a green light on the wall to mark its position.
- Make your intention by reciting:
اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّيْ أُرِيْدُ طَوَافَ بَيْتِكَ الْحَرَامِ فَيَسِّرْهُ لِيْ وَتَقَبَّلْهُ مِنِّيْ
Allāhumma innī urīdu l-ṭawwafa baytika l-ḥarāmi fa yassirhu lī wa taqabbalhu minnī.
O Allah, I intend to perform Tawaf of the Sacred Mosque, so accept it from me and make it easy for me.
- Perform the Istilam: Touch or kiss the Hajar al-Aswad if you can reach it. If you cant then raise your hand to your ears and recite:
Bismillahi Allauhu akbar wa lillahil hamd.
Translation: I begin with the name of Allah, Allah is the Greatest, and all Praise be to Allah.
- Circle around the Kaaba anticlockwise while reciting Duas, Dhikr, Salwat, or Quran.
- When you are between the Rukn al-Yamani and the Hajar al-Aswad recite:
رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِي الْآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ
Raubanaa aatinaa fiddunya hasanah wa fil akhirauti hasanah wa qinaa a’zab annaar.
O our Lord, grant us the good of this world, the good of the Hereafter, and save us from the punishment of the fire.
- When you reach the Hajar al-Aswad you’ve completed one circle. Do the second by performing Istilam.
- Repeat this process seven times.
- When you finish the Tawaf pray two Rakat whether in the Masjid or in a place where Maqam Ibrahim is between the KAbaa and you. Recite surah al-Kafirun in the first Rakah and surah Ikhlas in the second. Then Make a dua after finishing the prayer.
- Drink the water of Zamzam and make Dua.
- Face the Kaaba and make Dua, but it’s better to go between the door of the Kaaba and Hajar al-Aswad. Touch the door and make Dua, if you can reach it.
- Perform final Istilam.
Sa’i of Safa and Marwa (a mandatory step of Umrah):
- Go to the hill of Safa and Marwa and make your intention.
- Face the Kaaba and say “Allah Akbar”, “La Ila Illa Allah”, send Salawat upon the prophet, and Make Dua, make as much Dua as you can.
- Head to Marwa.
- When walking between Safa and Marwa make Dua, Dhikr, read Quran and send Salawat.
- When you reach Marwa hill do as you did at Safa. say “Allah Akbar”, “La Ila Illa Allah”, send Salawat upon the prophet, and Make Dua.
- You will go back and forth between the Safa and Marwah, seven times (you will finish at Marwa).
- Make Dua after you finish and then pray two Rakat in the Mosque.
Halq or Taqsir:
When exiting the Masjid exit with your left foot and recite the leaving the masjid Dua.
The last step to finish the Umrah is for men to shave or at least cut an inch of their hair head and women to trim their hair.
How many days is umrah?
The number of days depends on the umrah package you choose. The umrah cost differs based on the package you choose. The minimum number of days is 7 and the maximum is 30 days.
The duration of Umrah can vary depending on individual circumstances and preferences. Generally, the minimum time required to perform the basic rituals of Umrah is one day, although many people choose to stay in Mecca for several days or even weeks to perform additional prayers and visit other holy sites.
The actual time spent performing the rituals of Umrah is relatively short, typically taking a few hours to complete.
However, there may be long lines and crowds, especially during peak times, which can cause some delays.
How long does it take to perform umrah?
This mainly depends on you and if the place is crowded or not, but it can take from 3 to 6 hours to complete.
The first step of Umrah is to enter into the state of Ihram, which involves performing a ritual bath and wearing the required attire. This can take around 30 minutes to an hour.
The Tawaf, or circumambulation, around the Kaaba usually takes around 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the crowd and the pace of the individual.
The Sa’i, or walking between the hills of Safa and Marwa, typically takes around 30-45 minutes.
Can a girl go for Umrah alone?
In the past girls and women couldn’t perform Umrah without a mahram. However, hajj and umrah are different this year. As long as the girl or woman is going in a group then she doesn’t need a Mahram.
The Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman made a rule that women between 18 and 65 can perform Umrah alone without a male guardian as long as they are part of a group.
According to the rules and regulations of the Saudi Arabian government, women under the age of 45 must be accompanied by a male guardian (mahram) to perform Umrah. This means that a girl or woman who is under the age of 45 cannot travel alone for Umrah without a male guardian.
However, women over the age of 45 may be allowed to perform Umrah without a male guardian, as they are considered to have reached an age of maturity and independence. In such cases, it is important to ensure that all necessary travel arrangements and accommodations are made in advance, and that the woman has all necessary documentation and permissions to travel alone.
Is there any age limit for Umrah?
The person should be mature, i.e have reached puberty, to be able to perform Umrah.
Children can perform Umrah, but it is recommended that they be old enough to understand the significance of the pilgrimage and be able to perform the rituals properly. It is also important that they are physically able to withstand the demands of the journey.
For elderly people, it is important to consider their physical condition and whether they are able to complete the rituals of Umrah. They should consult with their doctor before embarking on the journey to ensure that their health allows them to perform the pilgrimage safely.
while there is no specific age limit for performing Umrah, it is important for individuals to assess their physical and financial capabilities before embarking on the journey. It is always recommended to consult with a knowledgeable religious scholar or travel agent to ensure that all necessary arrangements are made and that the journey is undertaken safely and with the right intentions.
Can you do Umrah instead of Hajj?
Umrah is done when the person is not capable of making hajj. But if the person is capable then performing Hajj is Fard. But you can perform Umrah without performing Hajj or before performing it.
How many Umrah can you do in a day?
You can do Umrah more than once and you can perform it for your beloved deceased once.
What DUAS to read during Umrah?
Abu Hurairah narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) said: “(The performance of) Umrah is an expiation for the sins committed (between it and the previous one). And the reward of Hajj Mabrur (the one accepted by Allah) is nothing except Paradise.”
Abdullah ibn Abbas narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) said: “Perform Hajj and Umrah consecutively; for they remove poverty and sin as the furnace removes impurity from iron.”
Abu Hurairah narrated that the Messenger of Allah said: “The pilgrims performing Hajj and Umrah are a delegation to Allah. If they call upon Him, He will answer them; and if they ask for His forgiveness, He will forgive them.”
So make as many Duas as you can, and wish for everything you want.
Here is the Duas that you should recite:
- When you start traveling recite:
Subhana-allazhi sakh-khara la-na hazha wa ma kunna la-hu muqrinin. Wa inna ila Rabbi-na la munqalibun.
Glory unto Him Who created this transportation, for us, though we were unable to create it on our own. And unto our Lord, we shall return.
- To enter the state of Ihram recite the following Dua after you pray the Ihram prayer:
Allauhumma innee uridul umrauh; fayassir haa li wa taqaubalahaa minnee.
Translation: O Allah! I intend to perform Umrah. Make it easy for me and accept it.
- After Ihram, recite the Talbiyah:
Labbayka Allahumma Labbayk. Labbauka La Sharika Laka Labbayk. Innal Hamda Wan-ni»mata laka Wal-mulk. La Sharika Lak.
Here I am at your service, O Allah Here am at your service. Here I am at your service, you have no partner, and here I am at your service. Truly all praise and blessings belong to you, and so does sovereignty. You have no partner.
- The prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) instructed us to recite the following when seeing the Kaaba Dua:
Allahumma zid hadha l-bayta tashrifan wa takriman wa ta?iman wa mahaba(tan), wa zid man sharrafahu wa karramahu mimman hajjahu watamarahu tashrifan wa ta?iman wa birra.
O Allah, increase this House in honor and ennoblement, reverence and awe, and increase the one who honors and ennobles it, of those who travel to it for Hajj and Umrah, in honor, reverence, and piety.
You could also recite:
Allahumma anta s-salamu wa minka s-salamu fa hayyina Rabbana bi s-salam.
O Allah, You are peace, and from you is peace, so give us life, our Lord, in the Abode of Peace.
- When entering the Haram recite:
Allah hu- maf tah li ab waba bi rahmatika
Oh Allah opens the doors of your mercy for me.
- When entering the Masjid Al-Haram to perform Umrah enter with your right foot and recite:
Bismillahi wal hamdulillahi wassaulatu a’laa rausulillah, Allauhummaghfirlee zunoobee waf tahlee abwaaba rauhmatik.
I begin in the name of Allah, all praise be to Him, and Blessings be upon the Prophet of Allah; O Allah, forgive my sins and open for me the gates of your mercy.
- When facing the black stone recite:
Bismillahi Allauhu akbar wa lillahil hamd.
I begin with the name of Allah, Allah is the Greatest, and all Praise is to Allah.
- When standing between the Yemeni corner and the black stone recite:
Raubanaa aatinaa fiddunya hasanah wa fil akhirauti hasanah wa qinaa a’zab annaar.
Our Lord, give us in this world [that which is] good and in the Hereafter [that which is] good and protect us from the punishment of the Fire.
- When completing Tawaf recite:
Watakhizo mim maqami ibrahema musalla
And take you (people) the Maqaam (place) of Ibrahim as a place of prayer
- When drinking Zamzam water recite:
Allaahumma inni as’aluka `ilman naifi`aaa, wa rizqaw wasi`aaa, wa shifa’am min kulli da’i
O Allah! I ask you for beneficial knowledge and plentiful sustenance and cure from every illness.
- When performing Sa’I (walking back and forth between the Safa and Marwa) recite:
Innassaufaa wal marwata min sha-airillah, faman hajj al baeeta awi-tamarau falaa junaaha a-laihi aiyattawafa bihi maa, wa man tatawwa-a khauiran fa innAllauha shaakirun a-leem.
Indeed, Safa and Marwah are among the symbols of Allah. Hence, whosoever performs Umrah at the holy Ka’abah can safely walk between them without fearing any sin. And Allah Knows and appreciates him who does any good with a willing heart.
When leaving the Masjid-al-Haram recite:
Bismillahi, wassaulatu wassalamu a’la rausulillah, Allauhumma Innee As aluka min fadhlik.
I begin with the name of Allah, Blessings, and peace be upon the Prophet of Allah, I ask you out of your Abundance/favor.
How much does an Umrah cost?
November umrah group consists of 8 nights from the USA to Saudia Arabia will cost around $2,350.
December Umrah 2022 for 7 nights from the USA to Saudia Arabia will cost around $2,995.
When Is the Best Time to Go to Umrah?
The best time for umrah is during Ramadan as Abdullah ibn Abbas narrated:
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said to a woman from among the Ansar: “When it is Ramadan, perform Umrah then, for Umrah during it is equivalent to Hajj.”
Therefore, the best month for umrah is the Month of Ramadan.
Noor and Nora ( House of Quran ) will be their friends during this amazing journey.
Noor Academy learning can be challenging if you’re seeking it for your kids.
Noor Academy offers you a wide variety of topics to teach your children online.
Noor Academy’s experienced live tutor ( male teacher & female teacher ). They have many years of experience in Teaching Arabic online , islamic studies online, and the Quran online to non-Arabic speakers.
Difference between hajj and umrah.
There are several differences between the hajj and umrah, first, the hajj is done on specific days during the last month of the Islamic calendar while Umrah is done at any time. Umrah takes less time to complete and has fewer rituals than Hajj.