What do you know about Prophet Nuh? And how many lessons do you think we get from Surah Nuh? Keep reading to know more about Surah Nuh themes, reason of revelation, and the lessons learned from the whole story.
What is Surah nuh?
and his concern over his people from the Bani Raseb tribe ignoring the warnings given to them by Allah through Nuh.
Noah’s purpose was to warn his people, who had fallen prey to wickedness and evil. Allah SWT assigned Noah the task of preaching to his people,
encouraging them to forsake idolatry and worship only Allah. According to the Quran, Noah’s teaching and prophethood lasted 950 years.
Surah Nuh’s themes include belief in Allah, signs of Allah (the Earth, Sun, Moon), and punishment for denying Allah’s message.
Where was Surah Nuh revealed?
Surah Nuh was intended to strengthen believers’ belief; it demonstrates that Nuh had problems dealing with the disbelievers of his day before Muhammad (PBUH).
Tanzil claims that it is the seventy-first surah that was revealed from the Quran. Surah Nuh was revealed following the sixteenth surah, An-Nahl, and before the fourteenth surah Ibrahim.
What does the Quran say about Noah?
Aside from the fact that Prophet Noah had a whole chapter telling his story, the Quran mentioned him in great positions.
He was praised by Allah among other prophets in multiple verses (ayah) of the Quran. In Surah al-Israa, Allah SWT said:
“O descendants of those We carried [in the ship] with Noah. Indeed, he was a grateful servant.”
He was mentioned along with other great Prophets of Allah in this verse too:
“Indeed, Allah chose Adam and Noah and the family of Abraham and the family of Imran over the worlds. Descendants, some of them from others. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.”
(Surah Ali Imran)
Apart from his story was also mentioned in other verses where Allah SWT shows how He bestowed His blessings on Nuh and his descendants for being the doers of good.
“And Noah had certainly called Us, and [We are] the best of responders. And We saved him and his family from the great affliction. And We made his descendants those remaining [on the earth]. And left for him [favorable mention] among later generations. “Peace upon Noah among the worlds.” Indeed, We thus reward the doers of good. Indeed, he was of Our believing servants.”
And said, ‘Never leave your gods and never leave Wadd or Suwāʿ or Yaghūth and Yaʿūq and Nasr.’1
Noor and Nora ( House of Quran ) will be their friends during this amazing journey.
What does the story of Nuh teach us?
Obedience to Allah
Prophet Nuh (PBUH) spent 950 years of his life urging the same people to believe in Allah without any inaction to obey Allah’s command to him.
He tolerated lots of abuse and harassment just to get those people to listen to what he has to say.
Using Dua when we’re desperate
After those 950 years of prophethood, the followers of Nuh were only 80 people. This made him desperate and lost faith in his wicked people.
When he felt that, he turned to Allah SWT and made Dua get him out of his misery.
“And Noah said, “My Lord, do not leave upon the earth from among the disbelievers an inhabitant. Indeed, if You leave them,
they will mislead Your servants and not beget except [every] wicked one and [confirmed] disbeliever.”
Allah never leaves His good servants
When Nuh turned to Allah SWT and made Dua never leave these wicked people on earth, Allah listened to him and gave him the final order to break free.
He ordered him to make a huge ship that will carry Nuh and his followers only to leave others to drown.
“And it was revealed to Noah that, “No one will believe from your people except those who have already believed, so do not be distressed by what they have been doing.
And construct the ship under Our observation and Our inspiration and do not address Me concerning those who have wronged; indeed, they are [to be] drowned.”
Allah can give us wonders
Of course, no one took Nuh seriously when he started to make the ship. The place they were living in had no water bodies and the idea of the ship sounded bizarre.
Nuh’s people mocked him and said he lost his mind. They didn’t know it was one of Allah’s miracles.
“And he constructed the ship, and whenever an assembly of the eminent of his people passed by him, they ridiculed him.
He said, “If you ridicule us, then we will ridicule you just as you ridicule.”
When Nuh was done making the ship, Allah ordered the skies to release its water.
A huge amount of rain flooded everything and only those who believed in Nuh survived, by the power of Allah’s miracles.
“[So it was], until when Our command came and the oven overflowed, We said, “Load upon it [i.e., the ship] of each [creature] two mates and your family,
except those about whom the word [i.e., decree] has preceded, and [include] whoever has believed.” But none had believed him, except a few.”
There are endless lessons we can get from the Quran online. Imagine how wonderful it’ll be if your kids grow up learning these lessons and applying them.
Online Quran learning for kids is a great idea to introduce your kids to the Quran and Islam.
surah nuh ayat 12 benefits
“And give you an increase in wealth and children and provide for you gardens and provide for you rivers.”
The ayat 12 in surah nooh is an extension of the previous ones where Allah SWT says:
“And said, ‘Ask forgiveness of your Lord. Indeed, He is ever a Perpetual Forgiver. He will send [rain from] the sky upon you in [continuing] showers”
The previous ayat basically showed the benefits of Istighfar. Allah promised us enormous gifts and blessings in money and family when we say “Astaghfirullah”.
Ask Allah to forgive you sincerely, and Allah will shower you with earthly benefits as you prepare for the blessings of the hereafter. You don’t have to request rain.
You don’t request the children or the money. In this world, you don’t have to beg for gardens and rivers. To obtain all of that, you must genuinely say “Astaghfirullah.”
Teach your kids more about Istighfaar and other supplications that can give them lots of blessings in this world and the hereafter.
surah nuh Tafseer
Bismillah Hir Rahman Nir Raheem
In the name of Allah, The Most Gracious and The Most Merciful
إِنَّآ أَرْسَلْنَا نُوحًا إِلَىٰ قَوْمِهِۦٓ أَنْ أَنذِرْ قَوْمَكَ مِن قَبْلِ أَن يَأْتِيَهُمْ عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌۭ
Innaaa arsalnaa Noohan ilaa qawmihee an anzir qawmaka min qabli any yaatiyahum ‘azaabun aleem
- Indeed, We sent Noah to his people, [saying], “Warn your people before there comes to them a painful punishment.”
قَالَ يَـٰقَوْمِ إِنِّى لَكُمْ نَذِيرٌۭ مُّبِينٌ
Qaala yaa qawmi innee lakum nazeerum mubeen
- He said, “O my people, indeed I am to you a clear warner,
أَنِ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ ٱللَّهَ وَٱتَّقُوهُ وَأَطِيعُونِ
Ani’udul laaha watta qoohu wa atee’oon
- [Saying], ‘Worship Allah, fear Him and obey me.
يَغْفِرْ لَكُم مِّن ذُنُوبِكُمْ وَيُؤَخِّرْكُمْ إِلَىٰٓ أَجَلٍۢ مُّسَمًّى ۚ إِنَّ أَجَلَ ٱللَّهِ إِذَا جَآءَ لَا يُؤَخَّرُ ۖ لَوْ كُنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ
Yaghfir lakum min zunoobikum wa yu’akhkhirkum ilaaa ajalim musammaa; innaa ajalal laahi izaa jaaa’a laa yu’akhkhar; law kuntum ta’lamoon
- Allah will forgive you of your sins and delay you for a specified term. Indeed, the time [set by] Allah, when it comes, will not be delayed, if you only knew.’ “
قَالَ رَبِّ إِنِّى دَعَوْتُ قَوْمِى لَيْلًۭا وَنَهَارًۭا
Qaala rabbi innee da’awtu qawmee lailanw wa naharaa
- He said, “My Lord, indeed I invited my people [to truth] night and day.
فَلَمْ يَزِدْهُمْ دُعَآءِىٓ إِلَّا فِرَارًۭا
Falam yazid hum du’aaa ‘eee illaa firaaraa
- But my invitation increased them not except in flight.
وَإِنِّى كُلَّمَا دَعَوْتُهُمْ لِتَغْفِرَ لَهُمْ جَعَلُوٓا۟ أَصَـٰبِعَهُمْ فِىٓ ءَاذَانِهِمْ وَٱسْتَغْشَوْا۟ ثِيَابَهُمْ وَأَصَرُّوا۟ وَٱسْتَكْبَرُوا۟ ٱسْتِكْبَارًۭا
Wa inee kullamaa da’awtuhum litaghfira lahum ja’alooo asaabi’ahum fee aazaanihim wastaghshaw siyaabahum wa asaarroo wastakbarus tikbaaraa
- And indeed, every time I invited them that You may forgive them, they put their fingers in their ears, covered themselves with their garments, persisted, and were arrogant with [great] arrogance.
ثُمَّ إِنِّى دَعَوْتُهُمْ جِهَارًۭا
Summa innee da’aw tuhum jihaara
- Then I invited them publicly.
ثُمَّ إِنِّىٓ أَعْلَنتُ لَهُمْ وَأَسْرَرْتُ لَهُمْ إِسْرَارًۭا
Summaa inneee a’lantu lahum wa asrartu lahum israaraa
- Then I announced to them and [also] confided to them secretly
فَقُلْتُ ٱسْتَغْفِرُوا۟ رَبَّكُمْ إِنَّهُۥ كَانَ غَفَّارًۭا
Faqultus taghfiroo Rabakum innahoo kaana Ghaffaaraa
- And said, ‘Ask forgiveness of your Lord. Indeed, He is ever a Perpetual Forgiver.
يُرْسِلِ ٱلسَّمَآءَ عَلَيْكُم مِّدْرَارًۭا
Yursilis samaaa’a ‘alaikum midraaraa
- He will send [rain from] the sky upon you in [continuing] showers
وَيُمْدِدْكُم بِأَمْوَٰلٍۢ وَبَنِينَ وَيَجْعَل لَّكُمْ جَنَّـٰتٍۢ وَيَجْعَل لَّكُمْ أَنْهَـٰرًۭا
Wa yumdidkum bi am waalinw wa baneena wa yaj’al lakum Jannaatinw wa yaj’al lakum anhaaraa
- And give you increase in wealth and children and provide for you gardens and provide for you rivers.
مَّا لَكُمْ لَا تَرْجُونَ لِلَّهِ وَقَارًۭا
Maa lakum laa tarjoona lillaahi waqaaraa
- What is [the matter] with you that you do not attribute to Allah [due] grandeur
وَقَدْ خَلَقَكُمْ أَطْوَارًا
Wa qad khalaqakum at waaraa
- While He has created you in stages?
أَلَمْ تَرَوْا۟ كَيْفَ خَلَقَ ٱللَّهُ سَبْعَ سَمَـٰوَٰتٍۢ طِبَاقًۭا
Alam taraw kaifa khalaqal laahu sab’a samaawaatin tibaaqaa
- Do you not consider how Allah has created seven heavens in layers
وَجَعَلَ ٱلْقَمَرَ فِيهِنَّ نُورًۭا وَجَعَلَ ٱلشَّمْسَ سِرَاجًۭا
Wa ja’alal qamara feehinna nooranw wa ja’alash shamsa siraajaa
- And made the moon therein a [reflected] light and made the sun a burning lamp?
وَٱللَّهُ أَنۢبَتَكُم مِّنَ ٱلْأَرْضِ نَبَاتًۭا
Wallaahu ambatakum minal ardi nabaataa
- And Allah has caused you to grow from the earth a [progressive] growth.
ثُمَّ يُعِيدُكُمْ فِيهَا وَيُخْرِجُكُمْ إِخْرَاجًۭا
Summa yu’eedukum feehaa wa ukhrijukum ikhraajaa
- Then He will return you into it and extract you [another] extraction.
وَٱللَّهُ جَعَلَ لَكُمُ ٱلْأَرْضَ بِسَاطًۭا
Wallaahu ja’ala lakumul arda bisaataa
- And Allah has made for you the earth an expanse
لِّتَسْلُكُوا۟ مِنْهَا سُبُلًۭا فِجَاجًۭا
Litaslukoo minhaa subulan fijaajaa
- That you may follow therein roads of passage.’ “
قَالَ نُوحٌۭ رَّبِّ إِنَّهُمْ عَصَوْنِى وَٱتَّبَعُوا۟ مَن لَّمْ يَزِدْهُ مَالُهُۥ وَوَلَدُهُۥٓ إِلَّا خَسَارًۭا
Qaala Noohur Rabbi innahum ‘asawnee wattaba’oo mal lam yazid hu maaluhoo wa waladuhooo illaa khasaara
- Noah said, “My Lord, indeed they have disobeyed me and followed him whose wealth and children will not increase him except in loss.
وَمَكَرُوا۟ مَكْرًۭا كُبَّارًۭا
Wa makaroo makran kubbaaraa
- And they conspired an immense conspiracy.
وَقَالُوا۟ لَا تَذَرُنَّ ءَالِهَتَكُمْ وَلَا تَذَرُنَّ وَدًّۭا وَلَا سُوَاعًۭا وَلَا يَغُوثَ وَيَعُوقَ وَنَسْرًۭا
Wa qaaloo laa tazarunna aalihatakum wa laa tazarunna Waddanw wa laa Suwaa’anw wa laa Yaghoosa wa Ya’ooqa wa Nasraa
- And said, ‘Never leave your gods and never leave Wadd or Suwa’ or Yaghuth and Ya’uq and Nasr.
وَقَدْ أَضَلُّوا۟ كَثِيرًۭا ۖ وَلَا تَزِدِ ٱلظَّـٰلِمِينَ إِلَّا ضَلَـٰلًۭا
Wa qad adalloo kasee ranw wa laa tazidiz zaalimeena illaa dalaalaa
- And already they have misled many. And, [my Lord], do not increase the wrongdoers except in error.”
مِّمَّا خَطِيٓـَٔـٰتِهِمْ أُغْرِقُوا۟ فَأُدْخِلُوا۟ نَارًۭا فَلَمْ يَجِدُوا۟ لَهُم مِّن دُونِ ٱللَّهِ أَنصَارًۭا
Mimmaa khateee’ aatihim ughriqoo fa udkhiloo Naaran falam yajidoo lahum min doonil laahi ansaaraa
- Because of their sins they were drowned and put into the Fire, and they found not for themselves besides Allah [any] helpers.
وَقَالَ نُوحٌۭ رَّبِّ لَا تَذَرْ عَلَى ٱلْأَرْضِ مِنَ ٱلْكَـٰفِرِينَ دَيَّارًا
Wa qaala Noohur Rabbi laa tazar ‘alal ardi minal kaafireena daiyaaraa
- And Noah said, “My Lord, do not leave upon the earth from among the disbelievers an inhabitant.
إِنَّكَ إِن تَذَرْهُمْ يُضِلُّوا۟ عِبَادَكَ وَلَا يَلِدُوٓا۟ إِلَّا فَاجِرًۭا كَفَّارًۭا
Innaka in tazarhum yudil loo ‘ibaadaka wa laa yalidooo illaa faajiran kaffaaraa
- Indeed, if You leave them, they will mislead Your servants and not beget except [every] wicked one and [confirmed] disbeliever.
رَّبِّ ٱغْفِرْ لِى وَلِوَٰلِدَىَّ وَلِمَن دَخَلَ بَيْتِىَ مُؤْمِنًۭا وَلِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَٱلْمُؤْمِنَـٰتِ وَلَا تَزِدِ ٱلظَّـٰلِمِينَ إِلَّا تَبَارًۢا
Rabbigh fir lee wa liwaa lidaiya wa liman dakhala baitiya mu’minanw wa lil mu’mineena wal mu’minaati wa laa tazidiz zaalimeena illaa tabaaraa
- My Lord, forgive me and my parents and whoever enters my house a believer and the believing men and believing women. And do not increase the wrongdoers except in destruction.”
surah nuh transliteration
- Innaaa arsalnaa Noohan ilaa qawmihee an anzir qawmaka min qablu any yaathum ‘azabun aleem
- Qaal’ ya qawmi innee lakum nazeerum mubeen
- Ani’udul laaha watta qoohu wa atee’oon
- Yaghfir lakum min zunoobikum wa yu’akhkhirkum ilaaa ajalim musammaa; inna jalal laahi izaya jaaa’a laa yu’akhkhar; law kuntum ta’lamoon
- Qaa la rabbi innee da’awtu qawmee lailanw wa naharaa
- Falam yazid hum du’aaa ‘eee illaa firaaraa
- W’inee kullamaa da’awtuhum litaghfira lahum ja’alooo asaabi’ahum fee aazaanihim wastaghshaw siyaabahum wa asaarroo wastakbarus tikbaaraa
- Summa innee da’aw tuhum jihaara
- Su mmaa inneee a’lantu lahum wa asrartu lahum israaraa
- Faqultus taghfiroo Rabakum innahoo kaana Ghaffaaraa
- Yursilis samaaa’a ‘alaikum midraaraa
- W a yumdidkum bi am waalinw wa baneena wa yaj’al lakum Jannaatinw wa yaj’al lakum anhaaraa
- Maa lakum laa tarjoona lillaahi waqaaraa
- Wa qad khalaqakum at waaraa
- Alam taraw kaifa khalaqal laahu sab’a samaawaatin tibaaqaa
- Wa ja’alal qamara feehinna nooranw wa ja’alash shamsa siraajaa
- Wa ll aahu ambatakum minal ardi nabaataa
- Sum ma yu’eedukum feehaa wa ukhrijukum ikhraajaa
- Wa llaahu ja’ala lakumul arda bisaataa
- Litaslukoo minhaa subulan fijaajaa
- Qaala Noohur Rabbi innahum ‘asawnee wattaba’oo mal lam yazid hu maaluhoo wa waladuhooo illaa khasaara
- Wa makaroo makran kubbaaraa
- W qaaloo laa tazarunna aalihatakum wa laa tazarunna Waddanw wa laa Suwaa’anw wa laa Yaghoosa wa Ya’ooqa wa Nasraa
- Wa qad adalloo kasee ranw wa laa tazidiz zaalimeena illaa dalaalaa
- Mimmaa khateee’ aatihim ughriqoo fa udkhiloo Naaran falam yajidoo lahum min doonil laahi ansaaraa
- W a qaala Noohur Rabbi laa tazar ‘alal ardi minal kaafireena daiyaaraa
- Innaka in tazarhum yudil loo ‘ibaadaka wa laa yalidooo illaa faajiran kaffaaraa
- Rabbigh fir lee wa liwaa lidaiya wa liman dakhala baitiya mu’minanw wa lil mu’mineena wal mu’minaati wa laa tazidiz zaalimeena illaa tabaaraa
Surah Nuh Summary
The Quran mentions Nuh’s prophethood in fragments in Surah Nuh. Nuh is Allah’s messenger. When Nuh saw the messages were not being received by the people,
he prayed to Allah, who had prepared to flood the Nuh village at a certain moment?
Allah instructed Nuh to warn the people about the impending flood. Allah sends down water from the heavens to validate Nuh’s word.
The flood was a sign of Allah’s kindness to the faithful in the Quran. It also symbolizes how Allah creates a new beginning for the world.
Because the disbelievers rejected Allah’s word and prophet Nuh, they were drowned in the huge flood.
Both Muhammad and Nuh’s lives are parallel throughout the duration of the revelation of this,
surah as they both struggled with people who won’t embrace the worship of one Allah.
now! You can also allow your kids to do the same through “learn to read Quran for kids” lessons with no need for transliteration ever again.
Sign up for Noor Academy’s Quran for kids courses and let your children learn the accurate Quran recitation and word pronunciation even if Arabic is not their first language.
Noor and Nora ( House of Quran ) will be their friends during this amazing journey.