It’s the Surah Quraish Surah 106 of al Quran al Kareem, consisting of only 4 verses (ayat) but holds a great position in the Quran. It is classified as a Meccan chapter,
which means it was revealed before Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) and his Muslim companions moved from Mecca to Medina (the journey known as Hijra Nabawiyya).
What is the story behind Surah Quraysh and what are the benefits we get from reciting it at specific times? Read on to know more.
What is the meaning of Surah Quraish?
The Quraysh or Quraish is a mercantile Arab tribe that historically inhabited and controlled the city of Mecca and Kaaba.
The Surah was named “Quraish” because it was sent as a message to them, mentioning their name in the first verse.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was born into the Quraysh tribe’s Banu Hashim clan.
The Quraysh were strong opponents of Muhammad (PBUH) until they converted to Islam in 630 AD.
This Surah talks directly about the Quraysh people and exhorts them to serve Allah SWT.
Surah Quraish read
Benefits of reciting surah Quraish
Reading and recitation of surah Quraish have many benefits given by the power of Allah SWT. How about we reflect on some of them?
Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) said:
“The one who recites this Surah will get the reward of ten times the number of people performing Tawaaf and I’tikaf.”
Tawaaf is Kaaba’s circumambulation during the pilgrimage and i’tikaf is choosing isolation to worship Allah SWT,
and both are some of the greatest things a Muslim can do to please Allah SWT.
Surahs in al Quran al Kareem often give benefits related to their meanings and context.
Since Surah Quraish was sent down in terms of prosperity, safety in travel, safeguarding from fear, and relief from anything bad, its recitation often brings the same.
Therefore, some of Surah Quraish benefits include:
- To ward off the evil eye, sorcery, or dangerous adulteration in the food, it is read three times before eating meals, followed by Bismillah.
- recited often in a business or store, it attracts wealth and blessings.
- recited 11 times after Isha prayers, it works as relief from illness.
- When recited 70 times after Fajr prayers daily then dua is made to Allah SWT for provisions, it ends poverty and misery.
- Surah Quraish is often recited for travel safety.
- The recital of Surah Al-Fil and al-Quraysh in the obligatory prayers (Salah) is highly rewarded.
- If a kid is afraid, read it 41 times on the water and hand it to him, then his fears shall go away.
What Is The Story Of Surah Quraish?
Quraysh Tribe was one of the largest tribes to ever control Mecca.
Allah SWT has given them some benefits that He never bestowed upon any other group of people.
The Surah was revealed to remind them of these virtues and ask them to worship Allah SWT who was the reason for them all.
Umm Hani bint Abi Talib who reported that the Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace, said:
“Allah has favored the Quraish with seven characteristics which He has never given to anyone before them and will never give to anyone after them”
These characteristics are:
- assumes guardianship of the Sacred House (al-Hijabah).
- One of them is appointed to the position of Caliph (al-Khilafah).
- granted the gift of prophecy.
- Someone among them is responsible for providing water to pilgrims (al-Siqayah) during Hajj.
- They were awarded victory over the elephant army (Al-Fil) that came to destroy Kaaba.
- For seven years, no one worshipped Allah SWT except for them.
- A Surah was revealed on them in which no one other than them was mentioned.
It’s a good idea to find a good story on Surah al Quraish for kids and teach them about this prominent tribe,
and how their story relates to the story of the elephants’ army attempting to destroy the Kaaba.
Surah Quraish Tafsir
Here’s a Surah al Quraish for kids Tafsir if you want to explain to them the real story behind the Surah:
- It is a tremendous blessing and protection from Allah for the taming of the Quraish.
And with all Allah’s Grace and Protections for their taming,
- We cause the caravans of the Quraish to set forth safe in winter (to the south), and in summer (to the north) without any fear.
- Then let them choose Him out for worship, just as He has provided a safe haven and a Sacred House for them.
- He is the One Who feeds them when they are hungry, and He favors them with safety and tenderness, so they should worship Him alone, without any companion.
How Do You Recite Surah Quraysh?
To gain the aforementioned benefits, you should know how to properly read and recite Surah Quraysh.
In order to do that, you need to take a Quran Tajweed course. Online Quran learning has been a way of knowing how to properly recite the Quran Surahs,
and gain its benefits for some time now.
Online Quran learning for kids can also teach your kids how to recite and memorize the Quran in the right way.
They can learn at their pace according to their own level with online Quran classes for children.
Noor and Nora ( House of Quran ) will be their friends during this amazing journey.
Surah Quraish in English
If you can’t speak Arabic properly or you’re still learning how to recite al Quran al Kareem, knowing the surah al Quraish meaning in English will help you understand it.
- For the accustomed security of the Quraysh –
- Their accustomed security [in] the caravan of winter and summer –
- Let them worship the Lord of this House,
- Who fed them, [saving them] from hunger and made them safe, [saving them] from fear.
Surah Quraish in Arabic
بِسْمِ ٱللَّهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
- لِإِيلَٰفِ قُرَيْشٍ
- إِۦلَٰفِهِمْ رِحْلَةَ ٱلشِّتَآءِ وَٱلصَّيْفِ
- فَلْيَعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّ هَٰذَا ٱلْبَيْتِ
- ٱلَّذِىٓ أَطْعَمَهُم مِّن جُوعٍ وَءَامَنَهُم مِّنْ خَوْفٍۭ
Surah Quraish in roman English
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Li-eelaafi quraish
- Eelaafihim rihlatash shitaaa’i wassaif
- Faly’abudoo rabba haazal-bait
- Allazeee at’amahum min joo’inw-wa-aamanahum min khawf
Why Was Surah Quraish Revealed?
It exhorts the Quraysh Tribe, who reigned over Mecca, to serve Allah SWT, who had protected them,
for their own sake. It is one of two four-ayat surahs, the other being Surah Al-Ikhlas.
It encourages the Quraysh people to worship Allah SWT in order for Him to protect them on their trading travels,
which nourished them after hunger and protected them after terror.
Surah Quraysh is paired with the preceding surah, al-Fil, and reminds the Quraysh of Allah’s blessings bestowed upon them,
by giving them victory over an army of elephants sent to destroy them.
The Kaaba was essential to the lives of the Quraysh, serving as a pilgrimage site that brought in a lot of trade and prestige.
Surah Al-Fil tells how Allah protected the Kaaba from destruction, then Surah Quraysh refers to Allah as the Lord of the Kaaba whom they should worship.
When Should We Read Surah Quraish?
We should read Surah Quraysh daily after Fajr prayers, after Isha prayers, whenever we’re about to go on a trip, or whenever we feel troubled or afraid.
Reading the Surah in such times will ease the fear, pain, and trouble we may feel.
how to memorize surah Quraish?
You can memorize Surat Quraish using these simple steps:
Begin by reciting ayah (verse) after ayah.
You read it carefully until you grasp what it means, then repeats it until you have caught all of the sentences.
Ayahs are frequently learned in a 20-minute session.
Then, try to get a sense of the rhythm. Pay close attention and then recite the entire text aloud.
Pronunciation may be improved by using an audio aid.
The Holy Quran may be memorized by hearing it several times. Having audio material with accurate pronunciation,
on hand will help you learn more quickly,
especially if Arabic is not your first language.
Sign up for Noor Academy’s Quran for kids courses and let your children learn the accurate Quran online recitation and word pronunciation even if Arabic is not their first language.
Quran teaching for children in Noor Academy is fun as well as structured, they’ll learn with Noor Kids;
Noor and Nora ( House of Quran ) will be their friends during this amazing journey.
Do not start memorizing another ayah until you have reviewed the one you previously memorized.
You can sign up for a revision course with Noor Academy if you want to revise the Quran and never forget it.
You may also find online Quran classes for children if you want them to memorize Quran with you.